Outokumpu Mexinox, Mexico's only manufacturer of stainless steel cold rolled flat products was founded in 1976. Outokumpu Mexinox has pursued the goal of producing stainless steel with improved corrosion resistance, strength and an excellent surface finish. Since 2013, Mexinox is a part of the Finnish group Outokumpu Oyj, and is located inside the business area “Stainless Coil Americas”.
Outokumpu Mexinox's headquarters and plant are located in San Luis Potosí, S.L.P., the geographic center of Mexico.
Outokumpu Mexinox constantly updates its technology; with presently three Sendzimir mills and with a large service center, the annual cold rolling capacity of 240,000 metric tons is sold mainly to North, Central and South America.
In Mexico there is a countrywide distribution network including some owned warehouses (Outokumpu Mexinox Distribution), while in other than US export markets Outokumpu Mexinox is represented through agents.
The new Outokumpu Mexinox has a presence well established in America. The principal industries that use our products are: automotive and transport, white goods, home appliances, oil and gas, chemical industries y and petro chemistry, food industries, as well as the construction industry.
Outokumpu Mexinox can offer a wide range of stainless steel grades, sizes and surface finishes, meeting the market challenges and fulfilling the quality and servicing requirements of all our customers.
With the integration of Outokumpu Oyj and Inoxum GmbH, new Outokumpu Mexinox extends his stainless steel briefcase of products integrating bar, pipes & tubes, thick plate and Duplex grades, which allows us to offer new solutions to our clients in a major variety of industrial segments.
Stainless steel industrial park in San Luis Potosí
Located within the Outokumpu Mexinox property, behind the production facilities, there is 91 hectares (225 acres) of land (30 hectares (74 acres) still available, where an industrial park to host stainless steel fabricators has been set up.
Advantages of locating your facility in San Luis Potosí
- Outokumpu Mexinox´s superior quality stainless steel
- Full support of JIT program with competitive pricing
- Ideal geographic location in Mexico
- San Luis Potosí is situated in the geographic center of Mexico
- 410 miles from USA borders
- 260 miles from Mexico City
- Outokumpu Mexinox will provide full technical support through its laboratory and research facilities
- A stable labor market including qualified technical personnel, Outokumpu Mexinox maintains strong relations with the labor union.
- Easy access to the North American market ( NAFTA )
- Access to Latin American markets through free trade agreements
- A railroad spur into the industrial park
- Excellent quality of life
- An enjoyable safe place to live and work
- Good universities (5) and technical colleges
Plants in our Stainless Steel Industrial Park
At the time, the companies already operating within the industrial park are:
- Fischer Mexicana, S.A. de C.V. (stainless steel tubing manufacturer): Manufacturers of welded tubular products, made from stainless steel for automotive, industrial and ornamental applications.
- Teka Mexicana, S.A. de C.V. (stainless steel sink manufacturer): Manufacturers of high quality stainless steel sinks.
- The Mexican Mint (Stainless Steel coin manufacturer): Manufacturer of legal coins, commemorative coins, Medals, etc
- Portinox México, S.A. de C.V. (Manufacturer of Stainless Steel containers): Manufacturer of Stainless Steel beer kegs
- Thyssenkrupp Bilstein Sasa, S.A. de C.V. (Manufacturer of automotive components): Manufactures of coil springs and stabilizer bars as well as corresponding assemblies
Quality Management System
To provide greater confidence to current and potential clients about the control that performs Outokumpu Mexinox on their processes and ensures that the products meet the needs of the clients, we keep updated since 1993, a system of quality management certificate in accordance with international standard ISO 9001:2008
To satisfy the needs of analysis and testing of clients, the Laboratory for Testing and Analysis of Outokumpu Mexinox, has much of experience and has been testing stainless steels for more than 34 years in both the chemical and metallurgical branches. The lab counts with its International Standard ISO IEC 17025-2005 accreditation as evidence of its competence.
Contact: Laboratory Supervisor
Phone: +52 (444) 826.5100 ext. 272
Address: Av. Industrias No. 4100, Zona Industrial, CP 78395, San Luis Potosí, S.L.P.
Research and Development Department
The Research and Development Department of Outokumpu Mexinox works altogether with other Departments to achieve objectives. It participates in the improvement of metallurgical processes in plant through projects or studies. It collaborates closely with the National Department of Sales, the Group of Technical Attendance to Customers and the Customer Solution Team by means of benefits on watch, as they are technical attendances or specialized technical reports. In addition, they maintain straits bonds with Technological Universities and Institutes of Investigation.
This cooperation and communications network increases the effectiveness of the technical attendance and the optimization of processes in Outokumpu Mexinox to the benefit of our customers.
Outokumpu Mexinox has constantly led the way in protecting the environment by establishing a centralized control system and waste recycling. To safeguard its surroundings, Outokumpu Mexinox has developed and implemented a variety of pollution control technologies.
Outokumpu Mexinox makes extensive use of information technologies to ensure a smooth flow of information throughout the entire Outokumpu Mexinox organization. The main purpose of this technology is to provide our customers with on-line information on orders, shipments and invoices. This reduces paperwork, increases efficiencies and ensures we offer our customers the best possible service.
Due to the fact that our stainless steels are produced under a stringent quality control system, from the annealing and pickling of hot bands to the final process of cold rolling and finishing, they have uniform quality as well as superb workability and corrosion resistance. This is only possible with our state-of-the-art technology and equipment, which includes:
- Three Sendzimir mills, where final and precise gauges are obtained.
- Three annealing and pickling lines where heat treatment and descaling is performed on the processed material, achieving the correct mechanical characteristics, metallurgical structure and high surface quality.
- A bright annealing line in order to offer finishes BA in our products.
- Three coil polishing line and a sheet polishing line.
- Two Skin Pass mills where a great homogeneity and improvement of properties is attained together with an excellent final surface brightness and flatness.
- Nine slitting lines for coils and strips of the required widths.
- Nine cut-to-length for sheets of a required length and widths.
- A coil preparation line with option to cut sheet until 6.35 mm of thickness.
- A cut of laser machine.
- Punching press equipment to produce circles.
Excellent Gauge Control
High quality stainless steel hot rolled coils are heat treated and pickled at an initial stage and processed further on Sendzimir cold rolling mills. The advanced design of these mills ensures excellent gauge control and the cold rolled product exhibits the lustrous surface finish that is one of the attractions of stainless steels.
Rolling by the 20-roll Sendzimir mill results in stainless steel coils and sheets with a uniform thickness and flatness.
Attractive Surface Finish
Easy roller changeability in the rolling mills assures the optimum condition of rolls at all times, and this flexibility results in an attractive surface finish of final products. The superior reflective surface finish of 430 2B ferritic product has won recognition and appreciation from our customers.