10. Disconnect and lock content
Disconnect and Lock here means:
Disconnect the machine's power supply and Lock/block the machine against unintentional operation/movement.
Disconnect and Lock applies whenever work is to be carried out on machinery.
Remember that YOU are personally responsible when you work inside a machine's risk area. You are responsible for:
- Ensuring that the machine is stopped in the normal manner before the safety switch is put in the off position or the power supply is entirely disconnected
- Locking the switch with your personal padlock (your name badge must be fitted to this)
- Blocking the machine against unintentional operation/movement
- Ensuring that all tools are tidied away and that all surfaces are free from all objects when the work has been completed
- Ensuring that all guards are put back in place
- Removing mechanical blocks
- Removing your personal padlock
- Being the "last person" and switching the power supply back on or reconnecting the power supply
- Before starting work, get the Disconnect and Lock regulations from the coordinator/contact person
Only the work environment supervisor has the authority to cut a lock that has been unintentionally left in place.
Read the next chapter: 11. Use of computers
Online course for health and safety certificate for Avesta Works